A town of diverse cultures, from Indian and Tibetan, to vestiges of British, Dharamshala has plenty of attractions for visitors to see.
The Dal Lake is a small, mid-altitude lake near the village of Tota Rani. Surrounded by stunning Deodar trees, the name 'Dal Lake' is taken from Kashmir's Dal Lake.
This War Memorial is a beautiful tribute to our war heroes. The operations of 1947-48, 1962, 1965, and 1971, as well as various peacekeeping missions, saw many of our Indian soldiers fighting bravely for the country and never returning home. Tourists may visit the memorial from 10am to 5pm.
Kangra Art Museum, Kotwali Bazaar
This museum displays the arts, crafts, culture, and history of the people living in Kangra Valley. The Kangra Art Museum is situated close to the famous Kotwali Bazaar, which sells various types of handicraft and religious items. The museum features collection of miniature paintings that date back to the 17th century. The museum is open all days of the week, from 9:00am to 7:00pm, and has a paid entry.
St. John’s Church
The Gothic stone building of St. John’s Church was constructed in 1852. The site also has a memorial of the British Viceroy, Lord Elgin, attached with an old graveyard.
Owing to its large population of Tibetans, McLeod Ganj is also known as "Little Lhasa" or "Dhasa" (a short form of Dharamshala that is used by Tibetans).
On the banks of the rivulet Bindusara, is an ashram complex established by the Chinmaya Trust, followers of the late Swami Chinmayananda. The ashram is an ideal location for contemplating religion; there are also courses conducted here to learn the Bhagavad Gita. The complex includes a 9-meter high image of Lord Hanuman, a magnificent Rama Temple, a meditation hall, a school, and a health and recreation centre.
Bhagsunag Temple & Waterfall
Close to the fresh springs, this ancient temple is a half an hour drive away from Dharamshala. From Bhagsunag Shiv Temple, one can follow the 1km track to the Bhagsunag waterfall.
Gyuto Monastery, in Sidhbari, once one of the most famous in Tibet, specializes in the study of Tantric meditation, Tantric ritual arts and Buddhist philosophy. Re-established to India, the monastery includes a school, a clinic and a library.